Wednesday 27 June 2018

Loris Cecchini

I met Loris today when I went to the opening of his latest piece high on the walls of a Florence luxury hotel (the piece "Waterbones" was high on the wall, not the opening)  http://www.artribune.com/mostre-evento-arte/loris-cecchini-waterbones-3/
I must say he seems to be is at the high end of the success-in-art-rainbow ... Paris, London, Berlin as well as Beijing and Shanghai. Our conversation was briefly interrupted by his two adorable daughters (five and seven - their respective ages, not their names) who wanted his phone and money for gelato (he, of course, gave them both). I asked how it felt to win the Pomodoro Sculpture Prize and he retreated into (what I thought was uncharacteristic) modesty. For another few minutes we smiled a lot and promised each-other we'll keep in touch, but before I left, I remembered how an old Maitre d' taught me to gauge the success of a person: look at their shoes! Loris' handmade stingray-leather shoes appeared to be more expensive than my car!


No comments:

Post a Comment