Saturday 21 August 2021

Edward Thomas

This is Phillip Edward Thomas (*3 March 1878 – 9 April 1917), I never met him as died in France during World War I, but let me start at the beginning:
The quiet Saturday early mornings are pleasant and the streets belong only to the dog walkers and the homeless. Casey was sniffing out the best grassy front-yard on Shanly when I, for no apparent reason, remembered Adelstrop. Edward Thomas was always among my favorite poets notwithstanding his relatively small volume of work, all written in a short three or so years. As father of daughter, the  opening lines of  "What Shall I Give You?" always choked me up

What shall I give my daughter the younger,
More then will keep her from cold and hunger?
. . . 

Picture credit Wikipedia under GNU and such, public domain Image copyright: Copyright expired 

So, once Casey makes her choice and makes, I go home and read meself some poetry, and, in the most respectful manner, I suggest so should you (too)!


No comments:

Post a Comment